Friday, December 31, 2010

Christmas Time ~ Part 6

I must say that I think one of our very favorite Christmas activities this year was making a gingerbread house. It was so fun!!! In past years I've considered attempting this project, but for some reason it just never happened. This year I told the kids that we were going to try it - that helped hold me accountable to actually do it =). Well, to be truthful, when the day came that we planned to do it, I was really not looking forward to it. I think I was just a little nervous at taking on a project I had never done before and wondering how difficult it was going to be.



Once we started, the ideas just kept coming. It was a great activity to work on with the kids. They really got creative. So, for the record....baking and decorating a gingerbread house is loads of fun!!! If you have never done it, I would definitely say "go for it". It's a great project for the whole family. We are looking forward to doing it again next year. I think we began a new tradition this year.

Enjoy the pictures of our first gingerbread house!


waiting for the house to dry



let the decorating begin



Sarah frosted and decorated the trees


Caleb putting in the front walkway



everyone enjoyed helping


we had lots of fun being creative




our first gingerbread house 2010

6 comments:

  1. I especially love the marshmellow snow man, the candy cane sled, and the little logs. We just tried our first this year, too. We just got a kit from WalMart with the walls already done. Next year we'll go for the "whole nine yards". By the way, tell Ron we want to see him in some of these pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a fabulous gingerbread house! Great way to get creative and make some fun memories with your children. I think if I were to try that here in Panama that I would have to spray it down or coat it heavily to keep the ants and roaches away-Ha!
    I have enjoyed reading your blog from time to time as I am also a missionary wife and mommy serving here in Panama. I came across your blog reading Jolene's blog from Ukraine and I think it is so fun to catch a glimpse of the world through a missionary wife's perspective.
    Ruth Hanson

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic job! It's beautiful! I have to admit, making a gingerbread house is something I think about every year... but have been too afraid to attempt it. Next year I'll put this in our plans! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful gingerbread house, Rachel! Did you buy a kit, did someone ship you a kit, or did you find all of that in Estonia?

    I know your kids will never forget the great fun they had using their creativity. They did excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! Very nice job, especially for your first one. I'll send you some pictures of ours later. Instead of one big one this year, Angela made small ones so everyone could decorate their own. Hurricane Gabby flattened her house before it was even decorated. And Stephen stuck a piece of candy on every square inch of his! We had lots of fun, and it looks like you guys did too.

    By the way, it took me a minute to figure out what was going on with your last picture. Your table is roughly the same color as your floor, so it looked like you had made a 3-foot house and had it setting on the floor. Check it out and you'll see what I mean.

    ReplyDelete

An encouraging word is always welcome and much appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...