Sunday, May 1, 2011

In April we hosted a "Girl's Day". Sarah and I invited our {missionary} friends over for a day of celebrating friends....and chocolate. The theme was "Sweet Friendships". Since everyone had to travel a ways to come to our house, we made it last the entire afternoon. Of course, we kicked all the boys out (Sarah liked that).
Sarah was such a great help to me as we cleaned the house, decorated, made food and other goodies, and prepared games.



My friend, Penny Smith (missionary wife in Tallinn, Estonia) gave a challenging devotional on friendship. Each of us also had a few minutes to share about a special frienship in our personal life. Friendships sure are a special treasure!



The day was sure a lot of fun. All the food was delicious, but I think the chocolate desserts made the biggest hit. With a houseful of girls, are you suprised?





Since we had an activity celebrating friends, I decided that my theme for April would be "Friendship". I have thought a lot recently of all the many, special friends that I have been blessed with. I literaly have friends all over the world. When I was younger, I did not have many friends. One day my dad had a much needed talk with me about how to be a friend. Ever since then, I have tried to be friendly {as the Bible teaches in Prov. 18:24}. Now, my life is full of friends - both old (as in a long time) and new. Many of these friends are available if I need to ask a favor, share a burden, have a prayer request, or just need to talk. I am blessed!

I have also been reminded once agian of the dearest Friend of all....Jesus! When I need to talk with Him, I don't need to check the time difference to make sure that I won't wake Him up. I never "call" at a bad time. He is not too busy for me. There is no greater friend in this world.


♫ What a friend we have in Jesus, All our sins and griefs to bear!

What a privilege to carry, Everything to God in Prayer!

O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear,

All because we do not carry Everything to God in prayer!



♫Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere?

We should never be discouraged, Take it to the Lord in prayer.

Can we find a friend so faithful Who will all our sorrows share?

Jesus knows our every weakness, Take it to the Lord in prayer.



♫Are we weak and heavy laden, Cumbered with a load of care?

Precious Saviour, still our refuge, Take it to the Lord in prayer.

Do thy friends despise, forsake thee? Take it to the Lord in prayer;

In His arms He'll take and shield thee, Thou wilt find a solace there.
Take a minute to thank the Lord for the friends in your life and also for the friend you have in Him.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful!! I wish I could have been there. Glad you all had a great time. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great idea, Rachel! I'll have to remember this one for when Brianna gets a little older and I don't have a new baby. LOL!

    Friendships are such an important part of life, and I thank YOU for YOUR friendship to me! Even though we have never met face to face, I feel like we have been friends for a long time. *Hugs* to you today, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

An encouraging word is always welcome and much appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...