Saturday, September 3, 2011

Entering a new stage!

It was very early in the morning on August 13th that I was blessed with a very special gift......
a son!


That little baby has grown into this handsome young man.


On August 13th, Daniel turned 12 years old.  This began a new stage in his life.  He is leaving behind the "little boy" stage {sniff, sniff} and becoming a man.  What a joy it is to be his mom and help shape, guide, influence, and train him to be what God wants him to be.  While many parents dread and fear the teenage years, I look forward to seeing what God will do in Daniel's life.  Just as this is a new stage in Daniel's life, it's a new stage in my life as well.  I have never been the mom of a teenager.  However, I do not fear or worry the years that lie ahead because I have the best Handbook available to guide me.  I also have direct access to the One who gives wisdom to those who ask Him.  I am sure God meant for these years to be treasured and enjoyed and with God's help, Ron and I plan to do just that with Daniel.

We celebrated Daniel's birthday a day early.  Our day was spent in Tallinn.  First Ron, Daniel, and another missionary boy went bowling.  Then later than evening Ron and I took Daniel out to eat.  (Thanks to Penny Smith for letting our other three kiddos stay at her house for dinner)  Daniel chose to eat at Mac's BBQ.  It was very special to get to spend some time with JUST DANIEL.     


Daniel's treat - a Dr. Pepper

 Daniel's mouth has been watering all day in anticipation of the BBQ ribs he already knew he was going to order.  He went through a bunch of napkins, licked his fingers, used a wet wipe towel, and still took some home on his face! I don't think anyone has ever enjoyed a meal more. 


Saturday morning (which was actually his birthday), he enjoyed an omlete for his birthday breakfast.  Then he opened his presents and read all the cards and emails he received.  Thank you to each one who took the time to send a note.  Those really meant so much to him.


I am very blessed to be Daniel's mom and I am looking forward to this new stage of life!


I did not make Daniel a fancy cake this year for several reasons, but one is because I had to make something I could transport to Tallinn.  Daniel just asked for chocolate cake with chocolate frosting (he likes chocolate).  So I made ice cream cone cupcakes and thought I'd show you how I did it.



Of course, you can use a box mix or a homemade cake. 
Here is the recipe I used:
One Bowl Chocolate Cake
2 cups white sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

1.  preheat oven to 350 F (175 C)
Grease pan(s) - 2  9",    a 9x13,   or cupcake pan (it makes lots of cupcakes)
2.  In large bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Add the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla, mix for 2 minutes on medium speed.  Stir in the boiling water last.  Batter will be thin.  Pour into prepared pans.
3.  Bake 30-35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cake tests done with a toothpick.  Cool in pan for 10 minutes.  Remove to wire rack to cool completely 


I filled the cones a little too full...opps!  Just a little over half way would probably be good.
This recipe made 12 ice cream cone cupcakes plus another 12 regular cupcakes.


This recipe really is delicious.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

5 comments:

  1. It is exciting to see your kids grow up :) I'm really enjoying having another man around to help me get things done :)

    Happy Birthday Daniel! Those cupcakes look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great birthday! And the cakes look delicious! Will have to give that a try. :) P.S. The first picture is absolutely precious. Makes me even more excited to see our newest little one in December.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures, especially the baby one :-) I think he looks a lot like you!

    The cupcakes look delicious! What a great birthday!

    I love your outlook on the teenage years. The only reason I'm dreading them is because it means the kids are growing up and getting closer to leaving the nest. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like quite a wonderful birthday! Those ribs look like a birthday meal for a MAN! Glad you had a great day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, Daniel...now I have to buy a new keyboard for my computer, because those ribs made me drool all over my keyboard.

    Looks like a fun day!

    Love,
    Uncle Stephen and family

    ReplyDelete

An encouraging word is always welcome and much appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...