Thursday, December 29, 2011

Sweet Treats!

  Although I had planned to organize another activity for our ladies during the Christmas season, I didn't even have time to suggest it before they approached me the last Sunday of November.  Due to the hecticness later on in December, it became clear that we needed to fit our ladies night in right away.  Right away meant exactly that...RIGHT AWAY!  I ended up with just a few days to plan and prepare.  I decided to keep it very simple and just use this time to build friendships with the ladies that could come. 
(We had at least three more ladies that really wanted to come, but their work schedule hindered them.)  

As I rolled, cut, and baked....rolled, cut, and baked....rolled, cut, and baked...gingerbread houses, it became clear to me why the kits can be costly in the store.  It is time consuming to prepare so many individual ones. 

Building and decorating gingerbread house was a big hit!


Everyone received a tray and gingerbread pieces.  I prepared a couple batches of Royal Icing.  Most of it was left white, but I did add a little red and green color to some of it.  I also set out some candy and lots of sprinkles.  Then the fun began!

Lena and her daughter - first time guests (Lena attends Ron's English class)

This was the very first time for all of these ladies to build and decorate a gingerbread house.

(left - Tonya, faithfully attends our services     right - Sylvia, came to our  first ladies' tea and attends Ron's English class)


Irena, attends our Sunday Services, attends Ron's English class
We enjoyed homemade pizza pockets, goodies, tea, and coffey as we decorated the gingerbread houses.  Toward the end of the evening, I taught them "Silent Night" in English.  They were each given a nice card with the Christmas story from Luke 2 to take home with them.

I'm looking forward to planning another special time with these ladies in the next couple of months.  Sure would love to hear some ideas from you.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Rachel! You're amazing! I've never thought of making those gingerbread pieces myself in order to assemble gingerbread houses with our people or even my family, here. What a great idea! Looks like the ladies REALLY enjoyed themselves, and I'm so pleased to see the way your ladies group is growing. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I want to try those sometime. Could you perhaps e-mail me your gingerbread recipe? It is a blessing to see those ladies faces again. Such a blessing to see what God is doing there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great time of fellowship! It looks like the ladies (and daughter) are enjoying themselves. It is a blessing to see those ladies' faces again and some new ones. We continue to pray for these ladies by name and are anticipating God doing a great work there. By the way, I agree with Jolene - you are amazing! We are very proud of you. Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete

An encouraging word is always welcome and much appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...