Thursday, January 5, 2012

Christmas Day 2011

(I know that Christmas is over, but things were busy during the holidays to fit in blogging too.  So, please bear with me.  This blog is a journal for me and it's important to record these important times.  It is also for the benefit of our family - though distance separates us, they are in our hearts.)


Christmas Day is a special time in our house.  We have traditions that the kids look forward to each year.  Our stocking are opened while still in our cozy pajamas.  Then everyone starts getting ready for the day while breakfast is being prepared.  Ron is usually in charge of breakfast, but he has lots of helpers.


After breakfast is cleaned up, we head to the living room to open presents.  The kids are so anxious to see what is in the presents with their names on them.  I too am excited..........for them to see the gifts that we picked out specially for them.
Before any gift are opened, we take a few moments to read the Christmas story from Luke 2.  Then we thank the Lord for the greatest gift ever given -  Jesus.


Present time.... 
 
Caleb is ready to get started

Dutch Blitz for the family - one of Sarah's very favorite games (which is why she opened this gift)

an mp3 player for Andrew - something nice for our upcoming furlough

a comic book of the Bible
 Ron surprised me with a.....
KINDLE FIRE
I was so excited!  Now instead of carrying stacks of books when traveling, I just tuck this in my bag and I have all my books at my fingertips. 
It will be a blessing on this side of the world as well.  Since so many books are in ebook form, I can get them on my Kindle and have immediate access.  Not only will this be convenient, but it will save us the cost of shipping books.
On top of all those wonderful features, I have found many ebooks for FREE!
In the last 5 days I have added 9 books to my Kindle absolutely free - a saving of almost $100 + shipping.
I am still figuring things out and have lots to learn as I have time. 

my Kindle Fire
Ron got this cordless drill and flashlight set from me.  It was on sale for a great price.  Don't you just love how God provides like that for us?  Ron has already had the opportunity to use his gift too - putting up shelves in our closet.  He was happy to get to "play with his new toy" and I was happy to get shelves.

Ron's new "toy"
 We were blessed with so much this year!
God is good and we are thankful.

Our family received several packages from the states filled with very thoughtful gifts.
It felt as though the windows of Heaven were opened right over our house,
then God poured out His love and blessings through others.
Christmas time can cause you to miss family a little more than usual,
but God made sure that we knew we were loved.....a bunch!

Later in the afternoon, a couple of our church ladies came for a delicious Christmas dinner.

the kid's table

the adult table
 In the evening we went to church for our Christmas service.
We enjoyed pumpkin pie and fellowship afterward.
What a nice way to finish up Christmas Day.

a Christmas tradition - a picture of the kids in front of the tree holding a sign with the year

4 comments:

  1. If you are late at posting about Christmas, then I am BEYOND late, because I was still thinking about another Christmas post, a "ministry" Christmas post. :-)

    I LOVE your idea of taking a family picture each Christmas, holding a dated sign. Don't think I'll ever get hubby to go for that one, though, since he barely bares with me to just get everyone together for a "quickie." LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also am late posting about Christmas! What beautiful children you have! Love the idea of holding a sign with the year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your family Christmas picture too! What a great idea! So glad you shared you Christmas with us...so sweet! I'm excited about your kindle. What a blessing! I'm curious about the free books...what have you found so far? And, when is your furlough? Maybe we'll get to meet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed the Christmas pictures. Children make Christmas so much fun. You can see the happiness and excitement in your children's eyes. Sweet memories. I recently got a Kindle too, and would really enjoy any advice or tips on good books if you have anything like that to pass along. I'm still figuring out the "new fangled gadget". Love, Maria

    ReplyDelete

An encouraging word is always welcome and much appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...