Monday, January 2, 2012

December Memories

Christmas seemed to sneak up on me this year.
As I look back, I think it was partly because it didn't "feel" like Christmas.
Why is that?  Well, we have had precious little snow.
We had even heard that the weather was forecasting NO SNOW until the New Year.
Of course, we were disappointed to hear such news.
I reminded the kids that God is in control of the weather and we should continue to pray for snow.
We were specifically praying for a white Christmas.


Just a few days later, we got a little snow - enough to build a snowman.
It didn't last long.
Then just a couple days before Christmas it snowed again!
The Lord answered our pray and gave us a white Christmas.
 

The kids were very excited when we found a waffle maker.
We used some Christmas money that was given to us and bought it!
Sure makes some yummy waffles.
The kids love them...........that makes mommy happy.


Caleb had a great time counting down the days until Christmas with this festive Christmas calendar.
We talked with my parents via Skype on Christmas Eve.
Caleb excitedly told grandpa, "Christmas is tomorrow!"
Grandpa replied, "No it's not....it's next week".
Caleb ran for his tree to let grandpa know that Christmas really was tomorrow.


In our cozy living room warm and snuggled on the couch with the Christmas lights on......
we read Christmas stories.
"Christmas Day in the Morning",
 "Twas the Night Before Christmas",
and "Twas the Night Before Jesus Came"

Even though my kids can read on their own, they like to read books and stories all together once in awhile.


The kids drew names this year to buy gifts for one another.  They did some extra chores around the house to earn money to buy their sibling a simple, yet thoughtful gift.  Of course shopping for the gifts were fun.  It was special to me to see how excited each of them were to pick out a gift, keep it a secret, and wrap it.  But most of all they were so excited to GIVE their gift.  It is so easy to get caught up in the excitement of getting gifts.  Yet, the Bible tells us, "It is more blessed to give than to receive."
It was fun to work together wrapping presents, adding ribbon, and making name tags.   



Another fun evening.....
Hot chocolate, sugar cookies, and Christmas cartoons.  Can it get much better than that?


Thanks to Pinterest I found some great gift ideas.  (In fact, I already have several ideas that I plan to use next year.)  I first started looking for something simple to give to all of Ron's students.  These cinnamon stick tree ornaments caught my eye right away.  I enjoyed making them and think they turned out great.  Along with these ornaments, we gave each of the students a Christmas book marker with a Bible verse in English. 


Another idea from Pinterest that I adapted for what I needed......gift jars for our church people.
I bought plain jars, filled them with goodies (nuts, tic tacs, hot chocolate packets, and candy), then used pretty wrapping paper to cover the lids.  Some festive ribbon tied around the lid with a card completed this simple gift.


A month full of memories that are tucked in my heart!

2 comments:

  1. sweet pictures. I was wondering if you'd be interested in being a Guest poster on my Thursday T' Time? Just send me an email if it's something you'd like to do and I'll send you the info. Have a lovely day, Maria raising4princesses@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm... a waffle maker! What fun!

    Beautiful Christmas tree and loved the picture of your kids in front of it. So special!

    ReplyDelete

An encouraging word is always welcome and much appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...