Saturday, March 9, 2013

Frugal Friday - Electricity

ELECTRICITY.....
Our family has always tried to be very careful about leaving things on around the house when they are not being used - especially lights.  If we are not in a room, we make sure the light is off.  We used to really struggle in this area.  Ron would come home in the evening and ask why every light in the house was on.  At that time Caleb was just a little guy and always wanted to be included during chore time.  I gave him the job of being the "light police".  Now isn't that a cool job for a little boy?  So when I would call the kids to the dinner table, I would remind the "light police" to do his chore.  He would also police the house for lights left on before we sat down to watch a movie or play a game.  Although Caleb does not officially have that chore anymore, we all try to make sure that lights and appliances are off when they are not being used.  This keeps daddy happy and is a little thing we do to be frugal.
Another way I try to be frugal is when I do my laundry.  Our electricity is cheaper late at night (winter 11 p.m. - 7 a.m. and summer 12 a.m. - 8 a.m.) and on the weekends.  So, I try to get my laundry done on Saturdays.  However, my washer takes about 2 hours to wash one load and my dryer is not drying real well these days.  We bought a used washer and dryer when we got to the field in 2009 and I'm starting to think that the dryer will need to be replaced soon.  Anyway, all of that to say, sometimes it's hard to get all my laundry done in one day.  If I need to do a load or two during the week, I try real hard to do it at night once the electricity rate changes. 
My dishwasher gets turned on right before I go to bed so that it runs while the electricity is cheaper too. 
These are just a few little ways we try to be frugal with our electricity.
How about you? 
Any tips about being frugal with electricity?

5 comments:

  1. Great post, Rachel, and very informative. I have never heard of electricity being cheaper at different times... guess that is a practice not used in Ukraine, though we have plenty of other ones!

    In addition to keeping lights off, we also try really hard to eat ALL of our food. Leftovers reappear at the table until they are gone, so that we don't just throw them away. For the most part we do well, though there are, of course, times that they just can't be reused/re-eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! A tip on the dryer: Since they are conditioner dryers, they have a lower filter that needs to be cleaned a couple of times a year. Mine is at the very bottom right corner. I have to pull it out (it is pretty good size, and always wet) and dig out all the lint and rinse it out. It will run much better then.:o) Hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, Penny. We found that awhile back and keep it clean. Even though it's clean, a little blinking light keeps telling us that it needs to be cleaned (?)....strange. The clothes just seem to be taking longer than normal to dry. :(

      A big problem I am having with starting laundry at night is that Ron and I are trying really hard to go to bed earlier. Wish my washing machine had a timer on it like the dishwasher - that would help. I have too much laundry to get it all done on Saturday. Since the washer takes so long, I start it before I go to bed so even though it starts during the more expensive time, some of the wash time is during the cheaper time frame.

      Delete
  3. This is completely off the subject, but ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL header! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica! I have been working on it for awhile and then I met a new "blogging friend" that helped me get everything the way I like it.

      Delete

An encouraging word is always welcome and much appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...