Saturday, April 6, 2013

Frugal Friday ~ E-books


our airplane left Ghana, West Africa and is on its way to Kenya, Africa 
 
I love to read!  Not only do I like to read, but my kids are avid readers.  Sometimes I have a hard time keeping them supplied with books.  Last summer while we were on furlough, I took Sarah and some of her cousins to the Library. 
 

Sarah was so excited with all the books available to read.  We got her a library card and she checked out as many books as I allowed (you can only keep up with so many books at a time)


However, we do not have the option of a Library here.  Plus shipping books over here can add up quickly.  So, we found a frugal solution.....KINDLES!  We were given some Christmas money one year and bought the kids the basic Kindle.  Such a neat little thing that has worked perfectly for us.  The kids took their kindles with us on furlough too.  They can keep it in their backpack and always have their books with them - on the plane, in the car, hotels, etc. 
That same Christmas Ron surprised mewith a Kindle Fire.  I am still enjoying it as much today as when he got it for me.  You would not believe all the free books that I have downloaded.  Probably more than I will ever read. 
I find my free and discounted e-books here:
The Frugal Girls
Inspired Reads
I follow both of them on Facebook and so I see all the deals right on my page.  There are many that I do not download - I just pick the ones that interest me. 
As time goes on, e-books are easier to find.  One of the biggest advantages of e-books for us is that we do not have to pay to ship the book internationally.  Plus, we get it instantly - no waiting for weeks for it to arrive. So, even when we buy an e-book, it's still a great deal for us.
Now, there are a couple of other things that I have heard you can do with Kindles, but I still haven't figured them out. 
1.  Borrowing books from the Library
2.  Sharing books from Kindle to Kindle
If anyone has any information on how to do either of these things, I'd love to hear from you. 

Do you have a specific site where you find deals on good e-books? 

What e-books can you recommend for me or the kids?

 photo rachelsig_zpsc246118c.jpg

10 comments:

  1. My girls LOVE to read also. It's hard keeping them supplied in books. I have the kindle app on my iPod, but still would love a "real Kindle" :-) I am also curious how the sharing and borrowing works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carole, I think they have an app that you can put on your computer too. We used that for a little while until we got the Kindles. Sarah loves Amercian Girl books, but I'm not sure if they have e-books or not. She also reads the Mandie series - those are available in e-books. It's nice to have that option for birthdays, Christmas, and special occasions.
    I hope you can get a "real Kindle" soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, in order to "lend" books you must first go to the "Manage Your Kindle" menu through your Amazon account. Once you have the list of books on the device, you can move the mouse over the "Actions" button to the right of each book listing. If the book is able to be loaned to some other device it will say that you can loan it. Not all books are allowed to be shared. (In the product details it will list "Lending: Enabled" if it is possible to lend the book to another device. Once you push the lend button it will ask you for an e-mail address of where you want to send the book and it sends the recipient a message that they have been loaned a book. Then they have seven days to "pick it up" and it is available to them for fourteen days and then "returned" to the owner. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the information, Dee Dee! Someone has already "loaned" me a book - just need to pick it up and read it. Technology is amazing!

      Delete
  4. To borrow from the library, you must have a library card or borrow someone's number (as I do). Go to that library's website and find the ebooks. The library I was using allowed 3 ebooks to be checked out at a time, and then you picked whether it would be for 7 or 14 days. You are allowed to return them before that time is up if you finish sooner than the allotted time. Another site to check out is ereaderiq.com. You can choose what category you want to look through. Another thing I do is look on cbd.com (Christian Book Distributors) and search free ebooks. If there is something there that interests me, I then go to the Amazon site where I find it for free, also, and download it. CBD's ebooks can only be read with their program, but whatever they offer for free is free on Amazon, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the library information, Sally. I'll have to give it a try.

      I will check out the other website you mentioned.

      I knew that I couldn't use the ebooks from CBD, but didn't know that I could fine the same free books on Amazon. Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete
  5. The kindle has been sounding more tempting as our family grows larger and our space seems smaller. I LOVE books and my kids seem to have inherited my love. We just had a couple music books shipped, the first we ever had shipped, and it was ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shipping is outrageous! My mom was going to send us some mail and when she got to the post office she found out it was going to be $60!!!! Crazy! (needless to say, she did not send our mail)
      Anyway, the cost of a Kindle pays for itself in no time. It's a great way to keep the kids (and mom) supplied with books. Sometimes we buy our kids a new e-book for birthdays, Christmas, or as a reward for something. Love all the options we have with Kindles.
      One tip....if you get one make sure you get one with a backlight. The ones we got the kids doesn't have any light which means they need some kind of book light to use if it is dark.

      Delete
  6. Lendle.com is a place where you can lend and borrow books. Gospel ebooks also has free ebooks from tome to time. http://www.bakerpublishinggroup.com/bethanyhouse/ebook-specials-from- bethany-house has free ebooks. http://blog.echristian.com/

    I love my Kindle and I love free ebooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the information! I look forward to using it.

      Thanks for stopping by my blog. Hope you enjoyed yourself and that you'll come back and visit.

      Delete

An encouraging word is always welcome and much appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...