Monday, June 24, 2013

Mother/Daughter Time


Has your heart ever ached really badly to see someone special?  I'm a grown woman with children of my own, yet I really needed/wanted a hug and some time with my mom (and dad).  Since God gave me a WONDERFULLY AWESOME husband, who was sensitive to my needs/desires, I made a two week trip back to the states.  We found some tickets at a decent price (especially since it was last minute) and I took my "favorite" daughter with me for some mother/daughter time. 
Sarah and I were giddy with excitement the entire trip because NO ONE knew we were coming - except for my dear friend who was picking us up at the airport.  We thought it would extra fun to keep our trip a surprise......let me tell you, we were not disappointed. 
I enjoyed some laughs and fellowship with Leslie Kellogg (whom I've know since before I was married) as she drove me from the San Francisco airport to my parents' house in Visalia.  She has been a dear, sweet friend to me for many years. 
Thanks for helping with my surprise, Leslie, and for being a blessing!
 

My trip was not entirely selfish.  Since our home church was having its annual Ladies Conference the week I was back, I wanted to be a blessing and help.  I was also looking forward to getting to attend the conference and the Mother/Daughter luncheon with Sarah.


I will treasure the time I had with my mom during those two weeks.  Several mornings we sat out on her back patio and just talked the morning away {smile}.  I also took her for a pedicure and manicure for Mother's Day and an early birthday present.  Of course, I didn't want her to do it alone, so I spoiled myself a little too (with my hubby's approval).
 
 
 My sister and I also managed to get some time together outside of church activities.  A special treat for me was getting to sing a duet with her in church - it's a blessing to serve the Lord together.
 
 
Sarah was blessed to spend time with other young ladies at church - especially her cousin, Emily!  With three brothers, she is thrilled when there is an opportunity for "girl time".
 
The theme for the Ladies Conference was "The Secret Garden".  The decorations were beautiful, the food was delicious, the fellowship was sweet, and the sessions were just what I needed. 
 
 
It did my heart good to see the dear ladies of Sequoia Baptist Church.  My dad has been pastoring this church since it's birth which was not long after mine.  These ladies' prayers help keep me going and on the field.  You can tell by their smiles just how sweet they all are. 
 
One of the days we were back, my in-laws drove up from Lancaster to spend the day with Sarah and I.   

As you can see, we did a lot in the two weeks we were back.  No matter how much fun we were having, we were missing our guys back home.  We had a fabulous time visiting, shopping, going out to eat, receiving hugs, seeing friends and family....but we were ready to get home.
 
I missed spending Mother's Day with ALL of my kids, but I did get my annual Mother's Day picture once we got back.  My life is blessed because four kids call me "mom"!
 
 
 
 photo rachelsig_zpsc246118c.jpg

14 comments:

  1. So glad you were able to visit your family. I was able to do that last October. What an encouragement it was! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! It was a special time that I will not soon forget.

      Delete
  2. I am happy for you to get that extra time with your mom. :-)

    Angela Farley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela. It was very special!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you were able to go back and take Sarah with you! I understand how special that mother/daughter relationship is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Carole, it was very special time indeed. Then time with my mom was so sweet and needed. Usually while we are in the states everything is hectic and rushed or there are lots of other family members around. I know you know what I mean. This time was very relaxed and enjoyable. Not only was the time with my mom special, but Sarah and I were able to spend some time together doing girl stuff. Fun, fun, fun!

      Delete
  4. What a special surprise that must have been for your parents, but especially for your Mom for Mother's Day! Bet she never thought in a million years that she would get THAT gift for Mother's Day this year - LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom was surprised for sure. It was a special mother's day to say the least.

      Delete
  5. Each picture is priceless and I'm sure will be cherished for years. I'm sure it was an encouragement to be able to spend Mother's Day with your mom and daughter. The boys all look exceptionally happy to have you back with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jessica, those pictures are treasures.

      Is it really that obvious my boys missed me?

      Delete
  6. Such a sweet post. I am so glad that you got to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Jessi! I'm glad too and I am thankful for pictures to keep for memories. Of course, I love to have it posted on my blog so that our family can relive these special moments over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your a grown women with four kids, why do you need approval from your husband for a mani/pedi? That is seriously a control issue he needs to be brought out on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Anonymous,
    I am assuming that you do not know my husband or me. The main reason I think that is because anyone that knows my hubby knows that he does not have a control issue.
    I'm sorry that a simple statement I made caused you to judge him in that way.
    My hubby allows me great freedom - however, since we ARE married, I communicate with him where I am, what I am doing, the money I spend, etc. That is my choice, not what he demands.

    I love my hubby with all my heart. He takes great care of me by providing for my needs and many of my wants.

    Just wanted to set the record straight on this matter. I've never had an unkind comment before, so this really threw me for a loop. This blog's purpose is to record events in my life and so family and friends can keep in touch. I do not intend to ever argue or be ugly to anyone.

    ReplyDelete

An encouraging word is always welcome and much appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...